First 2016 Presidential Debate, held at Hofstra University, Shatters Presidential Debate Viewership Records

Nicole Tague, Reporter

The first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton for this year’s election was held September 26 at Hofstra University. This was Hofstra’s third time hosting the presidential debate and it will make Hofstra the only university in history to hold three presidential debates. Previously Hofstra University hosted their first debate in 2008 between Barack Obama and John McCain. Hofstra hosted their second in 2012 between the current president at that time Barack Obama, and Mitt Romney.

Originally the first debate for this year’s election was going to be held at Wright State University l in Dayton, Ohio but, according to Joey Morona from cleveland.com, Wright State president David Hopkins told the Dayton Daily News, “I can’t assure the safety of our students and the community. I wanted it so much for our students. I hate this decision. It hurts my heart.”

Their decision was based on the safety of the students and staff. Wright State University’s decision to drop out of hosting the debate gave Hofstra University, which optioned to serve as an alternate spot a chance to host. Hofstra gladly accepted this offer.

The debate reached about 84 million TV viewers, which shattered the previous record of 80.6 million from the 1980 debate of Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan,making it the most watched U.S presidential debate in history. Those numbers rival Super Bowl viewership.

After the debate news websites put polls online about who they thought won the results varied depending on what website you looked at. While some people argued Trump won others argued Clinton won. Both candidates managed to find fault with each other while presenting their own points and ideas.