Mr. Bogatz Makes Surprising Comeback Following Absence of Mr. Naughton

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Juliet Watstein

Photo by Juliet Watstein

Photo by Juliet Watstein

Photo by Juliet Watstein

Jenna Miller, Editor in Chief

When I walked into the school building on the first day of school to go to my first-period Economics class, which would be taught by Mr. Naughton according to my schedule, I noticed Mr. Bogatz, the well-known retired Wantagh High School teacher, roaming the halls near the classroom Economics would be held in. I greeted him, told him how glad I was to see him again, and he said he was happy to see me too. I asked him about Academic Team, where I knew him from, and when he responded by telling me why he was here.

Though Mr. Bogatz retired from teaching full-time after the 2015-2016 school year, he returned each subsequent year to continue as the Academic Team coach — and this year, he went back to teaching as an interim teacher for Mr. Naughton, who was absent until September 23. Bogatz taught the College-Level Economics class. Bogatz is a teacher like no other. In the over 35 years he taught, he engaged students via a unique style of teaching and witty puns and jokes; he juggled sports, the Academic Team, and compiling fun facts about the school; he also is remembered by many WHS alumni for his unmatched talents at the student-teacher Ping-Pong tournaments.

The driving factor behind why Bogatz chose to make a comeback was the fact that Mr. Naughton teaches the class full-schedule, just like how he used to. “I felt it would be a favor to teach the classes like I used to as a favor to Mr. Naughton, my chairman Mr. Whitman, and the high school,” said Bogatz. “I empathize with Naughton because we both teach this class full-time. There’s no other teachers that take on the challenge of teaching Economics, and I like the fact that Wantagh High School allowed me to specialize in it as it’s something that interests me very much.”

Mr. Bogatz’ favorite things about Wantagh High School are the relationships between the students, parents, teachers, and administrators. “I always considered Wantagh to be like a utopia,” he said. His goal for his temporary position throughout the month was to maintain the “excellent standard that Mr. Naughton would have if he was here.”  He continues to engage students with a positive attitude and clever puns to make learning fun.

“It was such a pleasure to be back for the month of September,” said Bogatz. “Teaching full-time in September reminds me of those blissful days in the classroom.”

Bogatz will continue his position of coaching and being the advisor for the Academic Team throughout the school year, as he does every year.