Baymen Merge with Plainedge

John King, Sports Editor

Last year the Baymen did the unthinkable. The boys went on a 6-game win streak including the playoff semi-final game which they won 4-3 in double overtime over Locust Valley/North Shore. After that game the Baymen advanced to the Nassau County finals and defeated Rockville Centre 2 games to 1 for a Nassau County title and a trip to states.

The Baymen are looking to win it all for the second-straight year but this year with the help of the Plainedge Red Devils. The teams have merged and are now being called the Bay Devils.

During this offseason there was talk that the Nassau County champions would not have enough players for the upcoming season. This was one of the reasons, along with the chaos that the 135ers (the Wantagh-Seaford student section) caused, that almost led to the Baymen disbanding. But then later in the summer Red Devils noticed that they didn’t have enough players as well. There were multiple meetings with league officials to get the Baymen back and the conclusion was for the two teams to merge. The name has officially been changed to the Bay Devils and for home games the boys will wear the Baymen uniforms and for away games they will be wearing the Plainedge uniforms

There are mixed emotions about the merger. Many players who won the championship for Wantagh Seaford  aren’t ecstatic about the change. This is because many of the players play for this team to represent their school and they play for town pride. Even goaltender James Ciampi, who won the goaltender of the year and playoff MVP, isn’t too happy. He has played on this team because the Baymen pride and he has been part of this organization since 8th grade. Since his hometown East Meadow does not have a hockey team the Bayman grabbed him in the player pool draft back in 2014. He said has been a part of this team and the town has accepted him and he doesn’t want to play for any other high school team.

The boys look to go even further than they did last year and make another run for the state title. The Bay Devils first game will be on November 2nd at 6:45 pm. against Oceanside at Newbridge Arena.