Why all the Minions Hate?

Why all the Minions Hate?

Matthew Schroh, Editor in Chief

Children howl with laughter as the short, stocky, incomprehensible goofballs run around the world trying to find an evil mastermind to serve. At least, that’s a scene that plays in the minds of most tired parents whose children dragged them to the see the long-awaited “Minions” movie over the summer. But it seems many people have a very different depiction of the little yellow creatures – and it’s far from positive.

It seems many people, specifically the social media-dwelling American young adults, are fed up with the popularity of the beloved minions. Tweets reading “[I feel like] burning the next minion I see” and Tumblr posts starting with “Minions literally put the worst kind of rage in my heart” have garnered hundreds of reposts and favorites. A video on YouTube titled “I HATE MINIONS” has received over 500,000 views and over 17,000 likes. These facts are sure signs that something is definitely amiss in the minds of the youth.

The common fan of the “Despicable Me” films (from which the minions originated), whether it be a carefree child or a joking parent, must scratch his/her head at this hatred, but it actually has its roots somewhere. The minion-haters despise how commonly spotted the minions are on board games, shirts, socks, shoes, pillows, blankets, notebooks, umbrellas, beach balls, lunch boxes, bags, backpacks, coffee mugs, hats, and countless other sets of merchandise.

Haters say it is outlandish that the minions are so popular, but it makes a lot of sense. Minions starred in two very successful family films, “Despicable Me” in 2010 and its sequel in 2013. In these films, they acted as comic relief, which was why they were largely ignored by haters, despite garnering a few complaints from annoyed teenagers and college students.

It was when the spinoff movie, “Minions,” was released in July 2015 that the hate for the yellow dolts skyrocketed. All of a sudden, the minion merchandising that had been prevalent since 2010 was ripped apart like it had never been before. Thousands of angry young adults took to Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, and other forms of social media to harshly criticize both the characters and the movie itself. It is probable that this is the reason film reviewing website, Rotten Tomatoes, gave the film 54%, stating that the film’s “brand of of gibberish-fueled insanity stretches to feature length,” a claim that the movie was padded out. Noticeably, though, 54% is not a terrible grade in comparison to movies that have done far worse (recently Adam Sandler’s “Pixels” received a grade of 17%), and the film made over one billion dollars at the box office, so it can definitely be declared a success.

As it seems right now, and despite the best efforts of angry comments and frequent complaints, in the battle between the minions and their haters, the oversized yellow jelly beans are the victors.