The Little Mermaid – A Splashing Success

Jenna Miller, Editor

Drama, like Sportsnite, is an institution not to be tampered with, one with the zeal of an almost religious following. It is a large and loving family, willing to protect and share themselves with each other in a safe and happy environment.

-Rebecca Goldrick, former Wantagh student

From February 8 to February 10, Wantagh High School’s theatre program put on their outstanding performance of The Little Mermaid, which was very popular within the community and a wonderful experience for many to see.

The cast members were fabulous in their roles, and the stellar stage setup and props contributed to the “sparkle” of the show. Senior Nicole Ninivaggi played the role of golden-voiced mermaid-turned-princess Ariel, senior Alexa Sgroi was a personality-packed Sebastian, senior Dylan Hupert played one phenomenal Prince Eric, senior Julianna Barone portrayed a unique Ursula, and freshman John Sileo was a funny Flounder. The ensemble also contributed to how fabulous the show turned out to be. One scene in particular that stood out was the “Les Poissons” musical number, featuring junior Emily Stacy as Chef Louis and a frantically funny ensemble of cooks running offstage and into the audience!

Featuring interpretations of familiar songs from the Disney movie such as “Part of Your World” and “Kiss the Girl”, as well as new songs from the Broadway musical adaptation like “Positoovity” and “The Contest”, Wantagh’s many singers and dancers all had their time to shine in the many songs of The Little Mermaid. It was an excellent show, and one that couldn’t be missed. However, if you did miss it, fear not – DVDs for the show are being sold.

If you enjoyed The Little Mermaid, then you’ll love Wantagh’s advanced drama program’s upcoming production of Legally Blonde, hitting the stage from May 11 to May 13 and starring many of the same faces that could be seen in The Little Mermaid!