The One Where “Friends” Is Honored 25 Years Later

Nora Toscano, Reporter

This year marks the 25th anniversary of the first episode of “Friends.”  While none of us students were actually alive to watch it air on live TV, because of the wonderful world of Netflix we’re able to watch the six 20 or 30 something year olds drink coffee as much as we want (and we don’t have to wait a full week to see what happens next).  

Fans around the world have been celebrating, from building Central Perk lego sets to sitting on the legendary orange couch to  watching their favorite episodes in theaters. Fathom Events, an entertainment content provider, showed 12 episodes of “Friends” in over 1,000 movie theaters in the US.  This event took place over three nights, September 23, September 28, and October 2, with four episodes shown each night. The episodes shown included The One With Chandler In A Box, The One Where Everybody Finds Out, The One Where Ross Got High, and my personal favorite, The One Where No One’s Ready.   

The famous orange couch that resided in Central Perk has also been travelling around the world for fans to visit.  US Today is bringing replicas of it to many places, including London, Madrid, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and New York City.  LEGO has also released a Central Perk set, complete with all six friends, the stage Phoebe performs on, the counter and espresso machine, the SERVICE sign, and of course, Gunther, everyone’s favorite barista.  The 1,070 piece set is sold on the LEGO website for $59.99.

Pottery Barn has released a “Friends”-themed collection.  Some of the items have references from the show on it, like a set of tea towels that reads “Joey doesn’t share food,” or a mug with a lobster on it.  (Remember what Phoebe tells Ross regarding Rachel: she’s his lobster.) They are also offering an apothecary coffee table, just like the one in The One With The Apothecary Table.         

Another company paying tribute is Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, which released a special line of coffee beans.  They have three flavors, titled Central Perk Dark Roast, Central Perk Medium Roast, and Central Perk Tea. Additionally, Ralph Lauren has  a new clothing collection honoring the show and 90’s looks titled “The One Where They Wear Ralph Lauren.” Most of the pieces are designed after Rachel Green’s renowned style, but there are outfits reminiscent of all six characters.

25 years later, “Friends” is as popular and beloved as it was when it came out.  This year, fans can commemorate the acclaimed TV show in style.