Sadly, This Sophomore Must Return to Spain

Shirley Londoño, Viewpoints Editor

At the beginning of the school year, I wrote about moving to the United States from Spain. I never thought that I would be writing about leaving the same year, but here I am. After five years in this country, July 1 will be my last day in the United States. My parents miss Spain and their family, which is why they have decided to go back. If you would have asked me two years ago how I felt about moving back, I would have said that it made me very happy and excited. Things have changed over those two past years, and so has my answer.

Living in another country changed my view on so many things. Apart from learning another language, I learned about different cultures and aspects of life. Perhaps it was because I was still a kid when I arrived to the US, so my way of thinking still could be molded. Honestly, part of me is as excited as that girl two years ago, but the other part is so sad. I’ve gotten comfortable with my way of living here and part of me will miss it, but I guess I should follow my own advice and let go.

The United States has been my comfort zone, and I realize I have to step out of it if I want to discover who I am, or who I might become. Even though I’m going to my home country, I’m not the same girl who left five years ago. I’ve grown and I will keep growing as long as I have no boundary keeping me in the comfort zone.

I’ve learned to love Wantagh during these past two years, but sadly it’s my time to leave. I am thankful for all of those teachers who helped me throughout my time here, and I will miss the friends I made in this school. The memories I have in Wantagh, which I will always have with me during my journey, are cheerful. Someone once said, “I cannot say goodbye to those I’ve grown to love, for the memories we have made will last a lifetime, and will never know a goodbye.”

I appreciate everyone who made my experience in Wantagh High School unforgettable.