On to the Next Chapter

Processed with VSCO with inf preset

Jessica Rossi, News Editor

As I enter my last few weeks at Wantagh High School, I’m forced to reflect on all of the time I have spent here. Since I entered the Wantagh School District in kindergarten, I have been counting down the days until senior year, and ultimately my departure from Wantagh altogether. But now, as I think of all the memories and experiences I have had in this place, I find myself wanting these final days to last as long as possible.

I’ve always considered Wantagh a “bubble” – a predominantly white town most commonly known as “The Gateway to Jones Beach.” We have a parent Facebook group like no other, and we talk more about e-cigarettes and cops on Beltagh than academics – unless you’re a sports star or an academic genius. Students here are passionate about what they believe in, no matter how much opposition they face. And while this is both beneficial and detrimental to an extent, I believe that the energy here can create something worthwhile.

Despite all of these superficial details, though, Wantagh has opened many doors for me and has granted me experiences I will remember for a lifetime. I went out of the country for the first time when I went to Canada with chorus. I dissected my DNA at a lab in Cold Spring Harbor. I saw my first Broadway show, I sang the national anthem in front of the entire community, and I have been to more sports events than I can count. I’ve played pranks (on both teachers and students) and I’ve made friendships that will last a lifetime. Wantagh High School has forced me to come out of my shell, and has taught me life lessons that I will carry with me as I begin my next chapter.

To whoever is reading this, whether it be an underclassman, a senior, or a teacher, I hope you realize how truly lucky we are to be in this unique place. We have a lot of work to do, but living here has made me a better person.

Underclassmen, believe me when I say that time flies. My advice to you is to speak up about the things that are unfair and leave a lasting mark on this place. Teachers, I cannot put into words how much of an impact you have made on me. You have inspired me to become an educator and I hope to change the lives of students in the same way that mine has been changed in my four years here.

To all my friends, thank you for putting me up with me for all of these years. Even though we are all going our separate ways at the end of the summer, I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you all. To my brother, I am so proud of all you have accomplished, and I hope that you keep it up for the rest of your high school career.

Class of 2018, thank you for making my high school experience unique. Each of you has changed my way of thinking, and for that I am forever grateful. There is so much talent here, and I can’t wait to see some of you on Broadway, selling out Madison Square Garden, or playing in the Major Leagues. I hope all of our paths cross again in the future.