Cross Beltagh and Adopt a Dog from Bideawee

Elizabeth Katz, Reporter

Do you often fantasize about finding a lifelong companion? The pet-buying craze has been around for years. Someone looking for a pet thinks, “I want the cutest dog on the market.” So hopeful pet owner goes to a pet shop and purchase a ‘new best friend’ for usually over $1,000.

These “perfect puppies” actually come from a darker place, puppy mills. Puppy mills breed dogs in unsanitary, and miserable conditions. This is a lose-lose situation because the puppy lives in filth for the first few weeks of its life, making it vulnerable to diseases. In addition puppy parents are forced into slave breeding, suffering for the rest of their lives.

There are many other options in which you can find your perfect pet, without emptying your pockets. The town of Hempstead and The Bideawee Shelter are across the street from our very own Wantagh High School. Adopting a dog has many long term advantages, including saving money, a life and your health. Adopting a pet will allow you to get more exercise, as well as reducing stress, anxiety, and loneliness. In addition to personal benefits, by adopting a dog you will also be discouraging the puppy mill industry, and depopulating animal shelters.

In return you will receive unconditional love and a companion you will never forget.