Prom – Not the Most Important Part of a High-Schooler’s Life, But Certainly Worth Going To

Jenna Miller, Editor in Chief

Before actually going to Junior Prom, I had quite a lot of second thoughts about it. People told me it was the “most important memory you’ll make in high school”, and that it “wasn’t worth missing.” I wanted to go to prom, but at the same time I didn’t see the point. I mostly was interested in going to see if it lived up to all the hype, if it really was as big of a deal as the rest of the school made it seem like it was.

After having gone to prom, I can say that it was, in some ways, exactly what I had expected it to be. It seemed like just another school dance — it had all the party essentials from a DJ to a photo station to oodles of food. It was no different from the plethora of Sweet 16s, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, weddings, and baby showers I had been to. But at the same time, it was truly better than I had expected.

The energy and enthusiasm radiating from the gym and cafeterias was like no other. I had never seen the junior class so spirited, so united as one, having as much fun as they had that night. Everyone was together, whether they were eating, chatting, or dancing. As someone who has always had difficulty “fitting in” with the majority of people in my grade, I felt like I actually belonged at prom. People danced with me, made conversation with me, and seemed to enjoy my presence. The feeling was truly an enjoyable one.

Though calling it the “most important part of my life as a high-schooler” would be a stretch, I certainly made an important memory at Junior Prom that I will treasure for a long time. Whether you like dancing or parties or not, give going to prom a try — you might end up having a good time even if you didn’t expect it,