Wantagh Journalists Enjoy Press Day at Hofstra University

Wantagh student journalists and Mr. Kravitz at Hofstra University for Press Day

Jenna Miller, Associate Editor

Mr. Kravitz’s Journalism II class attended Press Day at Hofstra University to learn about the career of a journalist in today’s rapidly-changing press landscape on December 13.

Wantagh’s young reporters and editors listened to speeches made by various staff members from the university as well as professional journalists. The seminar began with an opening speech by vice-dean of the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication at Hofstra, Dwight Brooks; Randi Marshall, editorial writer at Newsday, followed with a speech regarding how to distinguish fake news from the truth.

Afterwards, a panel consisting of various journalists as well as the associate professor for the department of Journalism at Hofstra gave speeches on news literacy and the freedom of the press. A walking tour of the Hofstra campus led to various concurrent workshops on different forms of journalism; navigating social media, investigative reporting, and sports journalism.

I took the investigative reporting workshop, taught by Newsday reporter Keith Herbert. His class focused on what investigative articles are and how they take more time to write.

The wonderful day culminated with a free lunch in the Hofstra cafeteria; the students were allowed to pick from various options.