Michigan State Athletic Doctor, Larry Nassar, Abused 160 Young Women

Grace Tague, Editor in Chief

Larry Nassar has been sentenced to prison for 40- 175 years in prison for sexual abuse. Nassar will be in prison for the rest of his life. He is a former USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University doctor.

More than 160 women say Nassar sexually abused them. Thus far, 156 woman have testified in court against him saying that he sexually abused them over the past 20 years.

Judge Rosemarie Aquilina sentenced Nassar to prison. He pleaded guilty to seven counts of criminal sexual conduct in Ingham County in Michigan. Nassar also admitted to using his trusted medical position to assault and molest girls.

Ex-gymnasts and sexual abuse victims of Nassar were on the Megyn Kelly Today Show. They said that there were 8 times Nassar could have been stopped, starting in 1997. For example, in 2000 Tiffany Lopez, a freshman softball player at MSU, went to Nassar for an injury. Lopez felt uncomfortable with Nassar. She told her trainer, Destiny Teachnor-Hauk. Hauk allegedly said, “He’s a world-renowned doctor. He treats elite athletes.”

“I thought that training for the Olympics would be the hardest thing that I would ever have to do,” said Jordyn Wieber, gymnast and Olympic medalist. “But, in fact, the hardest thing I would ever have to do is process that I am a victim of Larry Nassar.”
The President of Michigan State University, Lou Anna Simon, stepped down after the Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal.