Wantagh Supports Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Hannah Popadin-Lesniak, Reporter

As the Wantagh School District entered October, an endless amount of love and support was poured into the community for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The annual pink and black shirts were quite the hit, as always. 

Each day, the shirts were sold by the Physical Education Leaders in order to raise money to show the community’s support. Every Friday in October, the Wantagh School Districts’ faculty, staff, and students wear the color pink to show love for those who are either fighting the battle against cancer, have lost their lives, or who have overcome it. 

On October 9th, the Miss Wantagh organization sponsored the “Pink Out” football game. All spectators were asked to wear pink. The cheerleaders and dancers wore pink bows and ribbons while the football players wore pink socks. These teams have shown its support in a moving way. 

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is especially important to the Wantagh community. Mrs. Butler, a high school education teacher and a breast cancer survivor, also shared her story.  In reference to her fight against breast cancer, she said, “Some asked me why did you have the surgeries so quickly and my response has been: so I could get back to my New Normal routine and also get back to what I love doing and that is teaching at Wantagh High School.”

Mrs. Butler also said, “Throughout this process the two communities of Seaford and Wantagh were absolutely amazing.  I have always said that it takes a village to raise children and in this case these two villages made sure my family was taken care of so that I could focus on my recovery and winning this battle.”

In Wantagh Middle School, members of the Student Council hung breast cancer ribbons throughout the hallways to be reminded as to what the true meaning behind those ribbons mean. There is no doubt that the Wantagh community continues to show support during the month of October!