Wantagh Theatre: From Radium Girls to Spongebob

Madeline Rose, News Editor

This past November, the Wantagh Theatre department put on  Radium Girls, a play based on the true story of hundreds of workers who died of radium poisoning in the late 1920s, and although the topic matter was dark, the entire cast and crew glowed! Starring current senior Trinity Bokelmann as Grace Fryer, the protagonist fighting for her life and the lives of her fellow women, current junior Anthony Lerro as Arthur Roeder, the morally-troubled corporate owner of the US Radium Corporation, and many other spectacular actors, the show was an incredible success! 

But Wantagh’s theatrical achievements don’t stop with Radium Girls. Rehearsals are already in full swing for this year’s musical- a twist off a pop-culture phenomenon- SpongeBob the Musical! The show follows all the characters you know and love through a musical journey to prevent the end of the world, breaking out into upbeat dance breaks and hilarious comedic tangents along the way. Starring Anthony Lerro as SpongeBob, Logan Schroh as Patrick Star, Ashlee Fucarino as Sandy Cheeks, and many other incredible performers, this show is sure to be a smash hit!

Theater director Dr. Kimberly Davis shared that “even though Radium Girls and SpongeBob the Musical are opposite in many ways, they share the message of doing what you know is right- even when it is hard or unpopular.” She explains that, “these shows were chosen to highlight the unique talent that we have here, and push students to explore new skills. Our goal is always to have a positive, educational theater experience for our cast and crew- and also our audiences.”

The show will be performed Friday, March 31 at 7 PM; Saturday, April 1 at 1 PM and 7 PM; and Sunday, April 2 at 7 PM, with tickets being sold online and at the door! With Radium Girls and SpongeBob, the 2022-23 school year has proven to be a great success for the Wantagh Theatre department, and next year will be just as incredible!