Wantagh Ties Garden City and Remains Unbeaten in Conference

Julia Fazio, Reporter

Wantagh battled defending county finalist Garden City to a 1-1 draw in girls’ soccer, September 26. Wantagh’s record for conference games is now 2-0-1; Garden city’s conference record is 0-0-3.

The tension was in the air as Wantagh girls’ soccer team members were still frustrated from losing the county semifinal game in sudden death penalty kicks to Garden City last fall. Thirty seconds into the game sophomore Julianna Kissane, rips a shot right over the Trojans’ goalie’s head. The Warriors took the lead and set an early tone to the game. As the game went on Garden city had possession of the ball most of the time. Neither team had that great of shots on goal in the first half. The first half ended with the Warriors up 1-0.

“During halftime we all got together and realized we had to calm down and finish this game with a win,” junior Ally Murphy says.

The second half started and Garden City came out fast. Wantagh did a good job of not letting them have any good quality shots for the most part. Sixteen minutes were left in the half and Garden City snipped a shot for the tying goal from outside the 18-yard box. As disappointed as Wantagh’s girls were, they were desperate for a goal. Both teams had a couple good opportunities but nothing good enough to go in.
The game ended with a 1-1 tie.

“It wasn’t the result we were looking for, but Garden City is a very strong team so a tie is better than a loss, we just have to focus on what we did wrong and fix it,” senior Michele Smith says. The Warriors next game is Tuesday, September 29 against Southside, the defending county champ.