Frosh McCartin Pitches Perfect Game for JV

Jake Boden, Reporter

While Wantagh varsity baseball gets a lot of recognition, the junior varsity team had a great season, too. The Warriors finished strong and had a 13-4-1 record. During the last series against Roslyn, a perfect was thrown on Wantagh’s JV by freshman pitcher Matt McCartin, the first one ever for the JV.

McCartin hasn’t pitched much this season but he was ready. He got on the mound and it was easy to see right away that he was dealing. He ended up not letting up single hit and he did not walk a single batter. His fastball had a lot of life as he mixed in great off speed pitches.

Senior varsity standout-hurler Anthony Fontana gave McCartin credit for his outstanding pitching performance saying, “It’s great to see a freshman doing such great work. It should give him great confidence coming into upcoming seasons, knowing he could dominate at such a young age.”

A few of the junior varsity players complimented McCartin on this game and his pitching. “McCartin did great, he had a spectacular performance,” said outfielder Chris Merro.

The offense also helped him out that game, putting together lots of hits to support McCartin. Kenny Spratt led the offense going 2-2 with a triple and double, driving in a few RBI’s, and players Shaun Joyce, Ryan Whitaker, Jordan Nissinoff, Pete Del Gais, Julian Saltzman, along with others pitched in with a few hits to help lead the offense to a 10-0 win.