The Warrior

Girls’ Tennis Aces Comraderie

Alexa Salerno, Reporter

Lead by Coach Moran, this year’s Wantagh girls’ varsity tennis team was one to remember. Coming closer and closer every year to the playoffs, the tennis team never fails to impress.

This year’s singles players included juniors: Anna Martorella, Samantha Kerrigan and Elizabeth Byrnes. Doubles players included: Kayley Butcher and Jillian Collins, Samantha Minars and Victoria Burrano, Kayla Schmidt and Rachel Brite, and Ceili Brown and Nalani O’Brien. These duos and singles players play scoring positions. This means that their games count towards the teams overall record.

The tennis team also had many spirit days. One of these days included a “Pink out day” where the girls dressed all in pink and bought special pink to jerseys to wear to their senior day match.

They wore to pink for Breast Cancer Awareness month. This was the last tennis season for many graduating seniors: Lauren Salerno, Kayley Butcher, Kayla Schmidt, Jillian Collins, Samantha Minars, and Victoria Burrano. In honor of these seniors underclassman made individual posters and they were all given gifts funded by the team.

“We had a really good lineup of girls,” said Lauren Salerno. “We had a very strong team that worked well together.” With most of the team graduating, it will be exciting to see the new group of girls on next years lineup.

The news site of Wantagh High School.
Girls’ Tennis Aces Comraderie