“Don’t Limit Your Challenges, Challenge Your Limits”

Liz Droluk and Nicole Hooker, Entertainment Editor and Viewpoints Editor

The Wantagh girls’ varsity swim team worked hard throughout their season.The girls practiced 6 days a week for about an hour and forty-five minutes each day. During practice, the girls do many challenging sets, like the iconic 20×25, to try to improve their times.

Coaches Mr. Rafferty and Ms. Jones and the team’s captains helped everything always run smoothly. This year’s quote inspiring the girls is from college basketball coach Jerry Dunn: “Don’t limit your challenges, challenge your limits.”

The team finished strong, winning its final three dual meets and qualifying eight swimmers for counties and one for states.

Leading the way was 8th-grade sensation Mary McKenna (see above). Only an 8th grader, McKenna captured a county title and qualified for states in three events.

The girls swim team turned in a championship performance at the Nassau County Championships November 2-3. Grace Anne McKenna, Lauren Darling, Elle Immel, Grace Massari, and Mary McKenna all qualified for individual events along with relay qualifiers Kiera Miranda, Kristina Fuchs and Mia Connelly.

Grace Anne McKenna, Mary McKenna, Immel and Massari combined for two all conference relays in both the 200 medley and 400 free relay, just missing a 25-year-old school record in the medley.
Grace Anne McKenna earned all conference honors with a personal best time in the 100 fly and followed it up with all conference honors in the 100 breast stroke, taking an incredible 4th place finish just missing the states cut of 1:08.60 by a heartbreaking .03 of a second.

The consummate team leader and sportswoman Grace Anne stood proud at the finals ceremony representing Wantagh swimming and diving for her 6th year in a row as a varsity swimmer at the county championships.

At the Division Diving championships, Junior Captain Grace Conway took second place and all division honors in the 11-dive event. Bella Conti finished her 6-dive dual meet season with an excellent score.
Freshmen Grace Massari and Elle Immel also hit best times at Divisions and placed top ten in their respective events, as did senior captain and 6-year-varsity swimmer Lauren Darling in the 200 and 500 free. Senior captain Keira Miranda placed in the 100 fly as did junior Kristina Fuchs, who dropped an incredible 24 seconds in the 500 free. Senior captains Mia Connelly, Justina Scibelli, and Hannah Dougherty also saw best times as did juniors Olivia Slater, Niki Hooker, Hannah Watson, Kat Mazzer, Liz Droluk, Claire Yustat, and sophomore Reilly Brower.