Star Lax Junior Commits to Brown University

Jillian+Balkunas

Jillian Balkunas

Kelsea Hagan, Reporter

After countless hours of studying, lacrosse practices and tournaments Jillian Balkunas, a 16-year-old junior at Wantagh High School, has committed to Brown University. Balkunas has always aspired to attend an Ivy League college but never thought her dream would soon be a reality. However this didn’t come easy. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve this accomplishment. 

Balkunas started lacrosse in second grade for the Wantagh PAL team and then made Elevate, a top travel lacrosse team in the fourth grade. Elevate was more involved and competitive. And that travel team led Balkunas to a true passion for the sport. Elevate had Balkunas and her team traveling hours away to participate in tournaments. This included staying at hotels overnight for 2-3 day tournaments. 

Balkunas said she always wanted to play in college so she worked really hard in school and on the field. “Keeping my grades up was very important to me,” says Balkunas.

Besides the fact that she spends a lot of time playing lacrosse and doing school work Balkunas still makes time to spend time with her friends and family. “My friends and family are really supportive and proud of this accomplishment,” says Balkunas 

Early October Balkunas committed to the Ivy League, Brown University for lacrosse for the class of 2025. “The beginning process was definitely stressful but the outcome was worth it,” Balkunas says.  “I am really excited to be given the opportunity to play for Brown in the future.” 

Balkunas continues the Wantagh tradition of top athletes going to Ivy League schools, especially in lacrosse and wrestling.