Rogers Captures State Wrestling Title

Wantagh’s latest state champ, Matthew Rogers

Claudia Corbett, Reporter

Wantagh Wrestling crowned another New York State Champion February 29. Senior Matthew Rogers accomplished the goal he had always wanted to reach. Rogers last high school match was for the Division 1 182-pound wrestling title in Albany, New York. And Rogers topped Brock Delsignore of Shenendehowa, 6-4, to become the 13th state champ in Wantagh history, in front of thousands of fans at the Times Union Center. Delsignore was  the No.1 seed and Rogers was the No.7 seed.

What made this moment so special was Rogers’ championship dedication.

“I dedicated the state title to my grandma on one of her final days,“ said the state champ. Rogers grandma passed away on Thanksgiving this year.  “I know that if she were still here she would have been the first person to contact me,” he said. Instantly when Rogers won his match he pointed upward to symbolize that he knew his grandma was watching. 

When asked how it felt to win states, Rogers said, “It still doesn’t feel real that I won. I wanted this for so long and I finally did it. My mentality was to go out there and leave it all on the mat.” 

Rogers will be attending the United States Naval academy next fall  to continue his wrestling career at the D1 level. Although his high school career may be finished, he  has a bright future ahead of him in wrestling. Rogers’ state winning photo will join the photos of all state champs — including the most recent, Justin Vines, Johnathan Loew, Kyle Quinn — in the wrestling hall of fame hallway in Wantagh High School.

Rogers’ sophomore brother, Ben, placed sixth at states and fellow senior Josiah Encarnacion took third. Encarnacion became only the second wrestler in Wantagh history to place at the states four times. For Matthew Rogers it was his third trip to the podium at states.  In addition, 8th grader Joseph Clem reached states at 99 pounds.

The  Wantagh wrestlers also helped Section XIII (Nassau County) capture the Sectional crown for the first time since 1987. And Wantagh finished 5th in the state in team scoring.