The Dive Team Finishes The Sports Season Strong

Julia Froese, Reporter

At the final meet of the season, the Wantagh High School Dive Team finished strong, crushing the competition. Greg Eletto, the captain of the dive team, earned All-Division and All-Conference honors, setting a personal best along with his teammate Jack McCool. 

Additionally, all members of the team, including senior Greg Eletto, senior Aidan Araoz, and sophomore Jack McCool, successfully completed a total of 33 dives at Divisions. This year, the trio have won the dive event at every dual meet, at the division meet, and at the county meet, winning their conference. 

In addition to all of these impressive accomplishments, the dive team has also been able to overcome challenges posed by the pandemic. Eletto explains that they must “wear masks unless we’re in the water,” and that they “have to fill out a health form every day before noon.” But despite these changes, the dive team has continued to compete fiercely and enthusiastically.

According to Mr. Rafferty, the coach of the dive team, “These guys are amazing teammates and have grown together through learning together in this performance sport.” Additionally, he adds that he is “in awe at their self-driven success, but not surprised,” creating a legacy he “couldn’t be prouder to be a part of.” 

Mr. Rafferty says that the dive team’s motto this year was, “Wantagh divers know how to fall gracefully” but he explains that, “in reality, they know how to rise proudly, as they have shown by their hard-earned successes.” A big congratulations to the dive team for their well-earned season accomplishments!