Homecoming Returns to Wantagh High School

Luke Janosko, Sports Editor

Wantagh High School celebrated its annual homecoming on October 16th. It is an annual event that brings together the students, alumni, and the community to watch a great football game. This year was a welcomed return to normal since last year was canceled due to COVID. Usually, everyone that attends wears Wantagh t-shirts or sweatshirts to show school spirit. The school is decorated with balloons, signs, and posters.

The day’s events included a parade down Wantagh Avenue that started at Park Avenue and marched down to the school. It had the band marching, cheerleaders cheering, dance team dancing floats that’s made by each grade, the Board of Education, youth sports teams, and the homecoming court. This year in honor of Coach Carter, our Grand Marshal was Coach Carter’s wife.

Halftime is a big event at the football game. This year, the football team was given their championship rings for winning the 2020 – 2021 Nassau County Championship. The homecoming court was chosen.

The cheerleaders, the band, and the dance team all performed and it was Senior Day. The senior class won the best float award this year; the theme was Toy Story.

Our senior Cheerleaders recognized during halftime were Sofia Tsakos, Alexa Cardone, Sara Jacobs, and Jess Migliaro. Our senior football players were Liam Casey, Luke Janosko, Drew Palladino, Sean Carlo, Tyler Martini, Nick Aldino, Mark Maniet, Ryan Burdewick, Daniel Wilke, Cavit Ireland, Tommy Cupelli, Owen Harrington, Colin Harrington, Willie Balitsos, and Thomas Campisi.

And finally, the football team won their homecoming game against Manhasset by a score of 41-19. Mark Maniet ran for 101 yards and two touchdowns, Tyler Martini rushed for 205 yards and scored one touchdown and Sean Carlo rushed for 52 yards and one touchdown. Our quarterback Joe Legovich completed 5 of 8 passes for 65 yards and a touchdown. The team is now 6-0.