Sportsnite, A Season To Remember

Isabella White, Reporter

Sportsnite season screams “it’s the best time of the year”. It’s the main reason some students come to school from January to March. It’s also one of Wantagh High School’s most infamous after-school activities. Why? While many would argue Sportsnite, March 2, is a distraction from school, loud, disruptive, and even cult-like, Sportsnite girls disagree.

Sportsnite is a great way for underclassmen to meet upperclassmen and make new friends. It allows for the same amount of socialization as any sports team, except it doesn’t require a high level of skill. Sportsnite isn’t designed for just dancers. Anyone can join. It’s not just dancing. It combines cheering, relay races, cageball, and many more activities to participate in.

But, why do so many students and teachers resent Sportsnite so much? Perhaps it’s the “volume.” However, the only cheering that goes on is during practice from 6-8 p.m. – long after the school day ends. No one is disrupted. Some teachers claim that Sportsnite “takes away” from school work. I disagree; we are allowed to complete homework and other assignments during practice time. The time length of practice is the same as any other sport, so why should Sportsnite be the only activity held responsible for negatively impacting academics?

Sportsnite motivates its participants to get through the day. I’ve met so many new people and made so many new friends thanks to Sportsnite. It’s so fulfilling to be part of something that makes so many students happy. It’s an amazing opportunity to partake in a healthy competition entering its 63rd year.

As Sportsnite draws closer, the girls on both black and gold are faced with mixed emotions, from excitement from the freshmen to experience their first official night of Sportsnite to sadness from the seniors as their last Sportsnite season comes to a close. Every Sportsnite girl values Sportsnite in her own way. It’s impacted so many of its members and will continue to for years.