College Costs Keep Rising

Wyatt Yustat, Reporter

The rising price of college tuition is ultimately what facilitates the social immobility that many face in today’s society. With college decisions weighing on the minds of many students, the financial burden comes into question. Over the years the price of a college education in the United States has risen exponentially and priced many students out of an opportunity at a degree.

As the next generation enters university and later, the workplace, college becomes more about the institution’s profit margin and less about the student’s future. One reason for this change is the increasing need for a college education in today’s competitive workplace. Prior generations saw a college degree as something to strive for, but not a necessary step in education.

As universities have used the increased enrollment to advance their profit margin the cost puts many graduates at a disadvantage when they enter the workplace due to costly college loan debt.

Young people often face a lack of extra funds, mainly due to student loan debt. They rarely treat themselves to luxury items such as a new car. The high tuition costs affect the economy greatly. Families are often affected by the high cost of tuition. They may take on unnecessary debts, again limiting the amount of luxury items.

Some states have made attempts to fight the rising costs of tuition. New York, in particular, offers tuition free public university based on household income. All state and city universities in New York offer a free tuition if you qualify. The proposal will offer new opportunities for those who may be financially less fortunate.

The cost of college tuition outpacing the rate of inflation by a wide margin has made many question what the motivation is behind today’s universities. The answer is a massive influx of funds. This trend needs to change.