Is this as Addictive as Drugs?

Sarah Benkovic, Reporter

How many hours a day do you spend on your phone? Even I admit to spending a lot of time on my phone. Various studies show that phone addiction is almost as addictive as drugs and alcohol. Teens and even adults get anxious or even panic spending time away from their phone. A dead battery can cause chaos. Addicted phone-users find that cell-phone use lifts their moods, just as drugs and alcohol do.

Those who experience “withdrawal” when they are away from their phones for a period of time might want to spend less time with their devices. There are even apps created for those who want a “detox” from their phone habits.

Giving children a smartphone is like “giving them a gram of cocaine,” according to www.independent.co.uk. Time spent on social medias such as Snapchat and Instagram can be dangerously addictive for teenagers. Studies say that teens are less likely to use drugs because they are constantly stimulated by their phones.

Cocaine causes a rush of energy and a sensation of pleasure by affecting the central system, including the brain. This works the same way with the phone when someone receives a response to a text or an Instagram post, they get a feeling of pleasure and reward. With this happening it leaves them wanting more, making it very difficult for a user to tear away the device. Users have admitted that they would rather break a bone than break a phone. It’s crazy how there are addicts who wish for harm upon themselves rather than breaking a cell phone!

“I spend at least 4 hours a day on my phone,” says Erin Murphy Wantagh high School senior. “I can’t just watch TV without scrolling through my instagram.”

Social media is a main reason why all people of different ages spend a long amount of time on their devices. Even I admit I’m a victim of this addiction, I feel the need to always check up on my phone to see what’s going on. Getting away from my phone seems so difficult because five minutes later I find myself on it once again… I think many phone users can relate to this as well.