Homecoming Court 2019: An Experience I’ll Never Forget

Kate Padgett, Reporter

Ever since I was a sophomore I wanted to spend my last Homecoming in the senior section, draped in black and gold, screaming at the top of my lungs, just like the seniors before me. When I opened the Google Forms survey that GO had created to vote for the top three nominees for Homecoming King and Queen this year, I was shocked to see my name listed. I called my family to tell them the big news and anxiously awaited for the day when I would find out if I made the cut, and sure enough I did.

Hearing my name announced as a member of the 2019 Homecoming Court at Pep Rally was a feeling unlike anything I could have imagined. I walked onto the turf greeted by cheers and congratulations from my teachers and fellow students. I was flattered that my senior classmates chose me, out of so many other girls in our grade, to be one of the nominees for Homecoming queen.  However, the moment I truly felt like royalty was being in the parade the next day. Riding in the convertible down Wantagh Avenue made me feel like a princess, and while I missed marching with the rest of my senior class and our float, I knew I was still representing them in a positive way knowing that my fellow classmates felt I met the criteria for homecoming queen.

I was crowned first runner up during halftime, but it didn’t really matter what place I came in. The entire Wantagh community cheered me on as I waved to the crowd. Endless chants of “Congratulations, Kate” filled my ears and my heart. 

You look beautiful!” said the roaring crowd from the stands. My entire family supported me at the parade and the game. Sharing this incredible experience with all of my loved ones created a lifetime memory.