Senior Goodbye: Jennifer Rosen

Jen Rosen, Associate Editor

I have always found it interesting that the inevitable shocks us when it actually arrives. 

Since I was in elementary school, I always viewed my graduation from high school as a distant, unforeseeable event. Although my kindergartener self would be disappointed that her dreams of becoming a “real-life sugar plum fairy princess” (as vigorously demanded in my 2009 time capsule) are a tad unrealistic, I am proud to say that I have found fulfillment in my experiences at Wantagh High School.

There are many people I am forever grateful for for the opportunities they have provided and the words of wisdom they have granted. For one, I would like to thank the Wantagh High School English Department. To Ms. Naughton, Ms. Jones, Ms. Flynn, and Ms. Pepe: you have worked tirelessly and passionately for the AP Capstone program and I could not be more grateful for the lessons you have instilled in me. This program has allowed me to challenge myself and conduct my own research that ultimately helped me find my interests in data science—a career I am excited to explore at Northeastern University.

To Ms. Burke: Thank you for your kindness and encouragement. Your class was one of my favorites and I am grateful that I could always count on your door being open. Thank you for helping me get my paper published and giving me the opportunity to find passion in your classroom.

To Ms. Compagnino: Thank you for seeing potential in me as a freshman. Your Work Study Program has changed my life and I could not be more grateful for the new families I have found. Thank you Tony Smith and the staff at SAS Real Estate for being so welcoming and embracing. Your kindness has impacted my life more than you will ever know. 

To Mr. Aviles and Mr. Cockren: Thank you for allowing me to find such a tightly knit community in your Band Program. Four years of Wind Ensemble has allowed me to find a deeper connection with music and forge bonds with students from fourth grade to twelfth. I am grateful for the passion and energy you put into the program that has taken me all over from our little practice rooms to the All County Music Festival  to Orlando, Florida to Deadrock, Nevada (we sure got rhythm).

To Mr. Nyberg, Mr. Garey, Ms. Naughton, and Mrs. Coons: Thank you for your support throughout the college admissions process. Thank you for always knowing the right things to say and helping me craft my essays to bring out my authentic voice. I could not be more excited about the outcome.

Finally, I would like to thank my friends and family and the constancy they have brought throughout my life. These past four years have been the ride of a lifetime and I am so appreciative for the opportunities I have been granted. I am grateful that I studied and have the continued opportunity to study at schools that value passion, effort, and commitment. 

Congratulations class of 2022! Can’t wait to see what’s next!