Flu Sickens Scores of Students

Madison Napolitano, Reporter

Unfortunately, the week before the December holiday vacation Wantagh High School students and staff suffered from an ugly sickness that spread rapidly. Teachers and students tried to be cautious to prevent illness.

The main sickness was the flu. “People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away,” according to the government website www.cdc.gov. “Most experts think that flu viruses are spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might also get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth or nose.”

Just knowing this information made students and staff nervous for their health right before the holidays. Some students did not show up to school in the hope of not getting sick. After so many students were ill, should school have been closed for the rest of the week?

It was reported that 146 students were out of school, not including the staff, December 22.
“The “Wantagh plague” that went around the school was pretty nasty,” said junior Gianna Marsico. “That led me to stay home because I did not want to get sick right before the holidays.”
Another junior, Alexandria Obdyke, was one of many students who brought a mask into school to prevent the sickness. “If these are the precautions I have to make to stay healthy before the holidays, then that is what I’ll do,” said Obdyke.

Now, the week after the break, things look like they are getting significantly better for Wantagh High School. With Sportsnite and spring sports coming up, students cannot have many absences. Thankfully there has been less sickness after the break but hopefully next time there will be proper precautions to make sure next time the “Wantagh Plague” can be controlled.