Light ’em Up!

Light em Up!

Karen Kawecki, Reporter

Detail Atten-Hut! Are you at attention now? That is, attention to the Phenomenal Wantagh High School Band Program. Hundreds strong and powerful. Dozens of awards won, hundreds of performances, and all done lead by band teachers, Mindy Dragovich and Dan Aviles.

The bright and peppy Pep band-run by the talented seniors Nick Lira and Shannon Rahner bring excitement and rally crowds at football games and pep rallies. Consisting of more than 50 students, the pep band knows how to fire up Wantagh.

Wantagh football games: Come for the football, stay for the field shows. The marching band has really marched its way into the halftime show at football games and into people’s hearts, lead by the outstanding drum majors, Lauren Farrell and Chris Mountanos. Our school’s marching band has recently performed in Tortola, Virginia, Disney, Spain, Puerto Rico, and even Carnegie Hall. Their fiery field shows are done to songs you all know and love like “Feel this Moment”, “Shake it Off”, and “Uptown Funk”. They were the cherry on top this homecoming, marching in the parade and performing “Venus” and “Shake it Off” with the dance team during half time. On October 14, 2015 they performed in the 53rd annual Newsday Marching band Festival.

Last Spring, Wantagh’s bands went to the NYSSMA festival and all three bands: concert, symphonic, and wind ensemble got the gold. The wind ensemble, the band with the highest difficulty music, played level 6 pieces and won the prestigious award of gold with distinction.

This past winter was the 9th annual band day and it was a great hit. Students of the wind ensemble mentored younger musicians. Current drum major Chris Mountanos and former drum major Mark Sales introduced these young musicians to the art and mechanics of marching band. At the end of the day, everybody joined together and performed brilliantly.

The band consists of some very talented students, one being Sam Hutt. He plays three instruments and this fall he will be competing in All Nationals in Nashville, Tennessee. He is the first person in 37 years to be competing.

The entire band is constantly doing fundraising. This year they are selling sunglasses, travel mugs, and everyone’s favorite, cookie dough, pies, and cakes. This fundraising is supposed to aid in funding for trips, working instruments, new music, and working stands, but it’s just never enough.

Yeah, I know what you’re thinking, “I wish I was in band!”, and you’re absolutely right for thinking that.