Wantagh Scioly Squad Takes 8th at Regionals

Meghan Kirk and Samantha Minars

Grace Anne McKenna, Editor in Chief

After months of preparation, Wantagh’s Science Olympiad team put its skills to use at the Nassau East Regional Competition, February 2.

The Warriors attended the event at Division High School after hosting last year’s competition. Wantagh’s Science Olympiad team is under the advisorship of Mr. Colavita, a physics teacher at WHS.

Science Olympiad, “scioly,” is a competition involving 23 events spanning all of the sciences, as well as engineering. Scioly requires a variety of critical thinking skills in different scientific subjects. Competition events include: Anatomy, Astronomy, Boomilever, Chemistry Lab, Circuit Lab, Code Busters, Designer Genes, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fermi, Forensics, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Herpetology, Mission Possible, Mousetrap Vehicle, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Thermodynamics, Water Quality, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It.

“It really intensifies and tests your knowledge,” said junior, Jonathan Caradonna. “It goes deeper than what you learn in high school. People who like a challenge in science would like it.”

Different events require different amounts of people. The maximum amount of people on an event is 3.

Forty-one teams from 19 schools traveled to Division High School to compete. There are 3 levels of competition within each school’s team: A, B, and C.

“It’s exciting and enjoyable,” said senior Lexi Kratz. “I wish I joined freshman year.”

At the conclusion of the competition, the olympiads packed the auditorium anxiously awaiting the results.

“The anticipation was killing me,” said Team A captain Constantine Patmanidis.

Wantagh’s Team A placed top 10 in 13 events. They placed 3rd in Circuit Lab and Forensics. Team B placed top 10 in 4 events including 3rd in Thermodynamics. Team C placed top 10 in 2 events.

“It’s very stressful but fun,” said Team A member Meghan Kirk.

Wantagh’s Team A finished in 8th place overall, just missing the qualification for the State Championships on March 15-16 at LeMoyne College in Syracuse.  

“Everyone should be proud of their individual successes,” said Team A captain, Andriana Patmanidis.

“It is disappointing that Wantagh didn’t make it to states this year, but I’m excited to see the comeback next year.”

Wantagh’s science teachers helped to coordinate the team during the competition. Teachers from other departments lent their time and talents as well.

Decorations lining the hall of Division High School and the team T-shirts were due to the hard work of SOSC, the Spirit Committee of Scioly.

Although the Warriors did not make it to states this year, they are determined to return next year.

“As stressful as it was, I enjoyed participating and spending time with my friends,” said senior Brianna McCartney.