Wantagh’s Whimsical Winter Wonderland

Jennifer Rosen, News Editor

On Saturday, November 27th, Wantagh celebrated its 3rd Annual Winter Wonderland at the Wantagh Preservation Society and Train Museum. From 12:30-6, community members rode The Little Shop of Flowers Trolley down Wantagh Ave to enjoy a day of festivities and fun. 

As community members walked into the event, they were greeted by a beautiful balloon arch provided by Sky High Balloon NY. The smell of pine mixed with wood-fired pizza wafted through the air as sights of red and green provided a sense of festive cheer. 

High school volunteers from Key Club, National Business Honor Society, and Junior Chamber of Commerce greeted guests as they assisted in handing out swag bags to over 500 families. Vendors set up tents around the perimeter of the train station, each offering a variety of activities from shopping to entertainment to pictures with Santa. 

In the center of the station, sponsor SAS Real Estate set up an inflatable Gingerbread Fun House filled with activities. Kids had the opportunity to win holiday themed prizes in a ring toss competition and write letters to Santa. There were also fun raffle prizes for parents including a Ring DoorBell, Ocular Lens, kitchen baking set, and more. 

Angela Testa, owner of SAS Real Estate, stated, “I was honored to be the title sponsor for this event. I believe small business is the heart of all towns and as a business owner, everyone should know who you are and what you do for your community.”

Throughout the day, community members were entertained by music and dance by live performance groups Platinum Performance Dance Academy, the Jewel Tones, Show Stompin’ Irish Dance, Spotlight Dance Studio, and the American Legion Pipe Band. 

Food and beverages were provided by a variety of delicious local restaurants including Pies-On Wheels, Simply Greekalicious, Mama’s Custom Cookies, Grandma’s Candy Kitchen, and Guac Shop. Community members were also able to participate in the John Theissen Children’s Foundation Toy Drive. Two full boxes of toys were filled to the brim by the end of the day.

The event closed with the annual Holiday Lighting ceremony. At 6pm, community members gathered about the large Christmas tree and watched in awe as the glittering lights displayed its festive beauty. Community members also celebrated Hanukkah with a menorah blessing. The large display donated by Realty Advisors owner Chris Kaufman provided a moment of reminiscence as the flickering lights reminded everyone of the importance of thankfulness and joy.