Mets Reach World Series for First Time in 15 Years

Sean Smith, Reporter

It’s official! The New York Mets are going to the World Series after they won the National League Championship Series 4-0 against the Chicago Cubs. The first two games were played at Citi Field where the final scores were 4-1 and 4-2. The following two games were played at Wrigley Field in Chicago. The Mets played great in all four games not letting the Chicago Cubs have one win against them in the National League Championship Series.

Daniel Murphy set a new record for most home runs hit in a post season. Before that the Mets competed in the National League Division Championship Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. They played five games against each other which seemed to go in a pattern where the Mets won the first game, then lost, won again, lost once more and finally won on Thursday, October 15.

The Mets were National League East Division Champions. It was a great regular season for the New York Mets with a record of 90-72.

Now the Mets wait anxiously for which American League team, the Toronto Blue Jays or The Kansas City Royals, will advance and face in World Series. If the Toronto Blue Jays are to advance, two Long Island Natives who pitched against each other in high school Marcus Stroman and Steven Matz may pitch against each other once again, but this time in the World Series. Matz on the Mets and Stroman on the Blue Jays both born in Stony Brook, Long Island. Stroman attended Patchogue-Medford High School while Matz attended Ward Melville High School. A rivalry was expected between the two, but somehow managed to remain friends.

It should be an exciting ending to the MLB season where I personally would love for the New York Mets to win the World Series that has not occurred since 1986 and who has not won the National League Pennant since 2000.