Girls’ Basketball 2022-2023 Season

Meghan Tucker, Associate Editor

The 2022-2023 season for the Girls’ Varsity Basketball team had a triumphant start. On December sixth and eighth, both the Girls’ and Boys’ team won the classic Wantagh Holiday Tournament, sponsored by the Wantagh Sports Booster Club, giving them the confidence and team spirit to start  the regular league season. The Girls’ team consists of hardworking individuals with five seniors, five juniors, two sophomores, and one freshman.

Unfortunately as the season progressed, wins became increasingly more difficult to achieve because of the team’s placement in Conference A4: the most skilled and difficult conference in Nassau County. The teams competing in this league with Wantagh are Lynbrook, Valley Stream North, Floral Park, Mineola, Plainedge, and Bethpage. Whatever the outcome, it didn’t stop the team from working extremely hard during practice, putting in the hours for weight room and film, and showing up to each game ready and willing to play. 

Coach Bujacich, known to all as “Coach B,” returned to coach this team for his 29th season. He shared, “Every year we want to improve as the season goes on. Our goals are always to make each day special, to not take anything for granted, and to work hard towards making yourself as well as the team better.”

On Friday, February 10, the girls played Bethpage for their final game and senior night. Before the game started, Wantagh seniors Meghan Tucker, Ava Kornbluth, Katherine Killian, Angela Pellicoro, and Julia Allen greeted their parents at half court to receive flowers and a picture. This was an emotional night that ended with a party in the senior study hall with dinner, dessert, and black and gold decorations—a memorable way to end the season.